Artist Statement Draft 2
Behind Hispaniola is a documentary project that depicts the evolution of the rehearsal of a stage play. Hispaniola is a drama written and directed by a York CUNY professor, Harlan Penn. It is a story about love and the ties that bind set against the backdrop of the Trujillo Era. Rafael Trujillo is infamously remembered worldwide as a Dominican dictator responsible for the murder of over 30,000 Haitians during the Parsley Massacre.
I was interested in this project because I love the theatre and wanted to work on a long-term project requiring multiple shoots. By focusing on this documentary project, I also aimed to improve my skills as a multimedia journalist.
I shot all the displayed photos with an iPhone 13 Pro Max and a Nikon D3200 DSLR camera. With these photos, I hope to convey the performers’ sheer determination and the group effort needed to make a successful stage play.
Comments
Post a Comment